St Croix’s oldest operating hotel
The circa 1756 West Indian 4-story town house was constructed using coral mined from the channel in the Christiansted Harbor. Built with Danish ballast bricks left behind by ships hauling rum and molasses from St. Croix to Europe, timbers and planks salvaged from shipwrecks, and using wood from the island’s legendary mahogany forests. The original structure has stood since 1756, and has been carefully restored over the years. The historic Strand Street building is furnished with many priceless antiques from the period.
Club Comanche Hotel St. Croix Vintage Bridge House building featuring our poolside cabanas and superior suites, was originally named The Comanche – after the 72 foot yawl that two adventurers, Ted Dale and Guy Reynolds, sailed from Cape May, New Jersey to St. Croix in 1948. They reported that the people of St. Croix were so friendly that they were inspired to build a new Christiansted hotel to accommodate visitors from the mainland, then flying in from New York and Philadelphia in the post-war era.
Thus the Vintage Bridgehouse was joined with the historic Strand Street building, and together they became another legendary landmark of St. Croix’s Cristiansted Harbor and downtown Christiansted. They stand today as an integral part of Caribbean architectural, nautical and colonial era history after many structural restorations and updates over the ages. Both buildings are eclectically furnished in colonial artwork and antiques and mid-century modern vintage pieces, adding to the comfort, charm and convenience of the location.